|Contract Hours:||Full Time|
Root Veg Buyer Procurement & Agricultural Technical Support
Job Title: Root Vegetable Buyer & Agricultural Technical Support
Location: Uttoxeter with responsibilities at Leominster (with travel to other UK sites and supplier base)
KP Snacks is home to some of the most iconic British snack brands including; McCoy’s, Tyrrells, Hula Hoops, KP Nuts, POM-BEAR, Butterkist, Skips, Space Raiders, Discos, Nik Naks, Wheat Crunchies, Penn State, Phileas Fogg, Roysters, Brannigans and Frisps. We also produce many fantastic products for the UK’s leading retailers. We are proud that millions of people enjoy our snacks, every day!
We employ around 2,000 people in the UK across our 8 production sites and our head office in Slough. KP Snacks is also proud to be part of the Intersnack Group, Europe’s leading producer of savoury snacks, operating in around 30 European countries.
At KP Snacks we are passionate about people and proud of the exciting, rewarding careers we offer. We’re always on the lookout for talented and self-motivated individuals to bring added expertise and enthusiasm to our growing business.
We’re seeking a professional and astute Procurement/Technical Crops Manager to join our dynamic Tyrrells team based in Uttoxeter. The role will also include travel to our other UK sites and grower base.
Reporting to the Procurement Manager, the Procurement/Technical Manager will control all aspects of Annual contract negotiations for raw root vegetables for Snack processing. This represents approx £2M with 15 suppliers. As such the role will require an understanding of root vegetable crops from Parsnips, carrots and beetroot and sweet potato and potatoes.
The role holder will also be instrumental in supporting site with raising purchase orders and scheduling deliveries with external haulage to ensure product is balancing factory demand.
You will operate within the broader procurement team to develop a procurement and technical process, driving alignment & consistency across all sites.
The role will work closely with the Site Management & Functional teams to ensure all aspects of raw material supply & root veg procurement are understood, communicated and implemented, and that any technical issues are addressed are resolved with the supplier base in a timely manner.
The role will also support projects, cost base release activities and ongoing continuous improvement work streams in line with centrally developed strategy & process.
· Procurement Lead for Root Vegetables – Contracting Parsnips, Beetroot, Carrot and Sweet potato at a competitive cost over the year, ensuring signed contracts are in place and managing the flow of volume in the factory on a weekly basis. Covering up to 15 suppliers across the season with a spend of approx. £2M per year.
Potato/ Veg Duties / Responsibilities
· Reserving Seed to cover forward volumes - Working with suppliers and factory data providing assessment of prior season & varietal Performance review. Working with procurement manager to discuss seed and variety breakdown for following season.
· Weekly Contract volume management – Tracking volumes vs contract and confirming actual balance – Identifying any risk to volume.
· Weekly Scheduling – Confirming weekly supplier allocation for Tyrrells production. Liaising with Haulage to ensure continuity of supply to site and monitoring stock levels are balanced to cover the plan.
· Purchase Orders/Invoicing – Raising weekly purchase orders for the value of the materials and receipting quantities delivered.
· Grower Compliance/Quality issues – Managing supplier issues and resolving commercial discussions. Supplier visits to keep up to date with on farm information and maintaining suppliers audits.
· Supplier Performance – Collating technical and factory data to ensure supplier performance is reviewed and optimised delivering the highest standard of quality and customer service.
· Field Work - Working with all the key suppliers to ensure crop intelligence is maintained throughout the growing, harvest and storage periods. Sampling of crops and data gathering to proactively understand potential issues.
· Variety Development – Support the development and introduction/removal of new/existing potato varieties that will benefit processing and improve total cost base and improve key technical and quality requirements.
· Demonstrable experience in an agriculture procurement role.
· A good communicator able to develop and maintain a good working relationship both the factory and all supplying growers and representatives.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
· Procurement experience of root crops
· Graduate in an Agricultural / Technical Discipline
· Understanding of technical requirements – HACCP / Auditing
· Competency in IT
· Driving Licence
· Based in Uttoxeter (2 days per week Leominster)
· Highly competitive base salary
· £5k car allowance
· Plus loads of great benefits
Why not create a career profile and sign up for job alerts?